Thursday, November 13, 2008

and now for your latest weekly catastrophe

...at least, that's how it's felt for me for the past few weeks. As many of you, my dearly beloved readers, are also on facebook, you may have noticed that I lost my job and fractured my spine in quick succession. Altogether, it has not been a fantastic few weeks, to say the least. Here's the longer version of the story:
Two weeks ago, I went into work, and was informed that my manager was getting in trouble for how much he was spending on payroll. Now, this is ridiculous, because we never had too many people, at least not on the shifts that I worked. Sadly, as previous experience has taught me, the people up there who do not have to do the extra work caused by under-staffing never seem to care how many people are actually needed, and it is the easiest budget cut. Of course, I, as the newest, and I believe only part time person was the obvious choice to go. Thus, I lost the first job that I have ever liked. To replace that job is not just to replace the income, but to try to find somewhere nearly as enjoyable. I will probably have to make do, sadly.
At anyrate, as midterms were bearing down on me, I decided to put off looking for a new job. I have enough money to get me to December on a reasonable budget, and while I'd like to have a bit more security, it's nice to know I don't have to panic.
Which is a good thing, because a week later (last week), I got thrown during my riding lesson. We were trotting home from the arena, I was chatting to one of the others and not paying particular attention. I lost my left stirrup, and as I maneuvered to get it back, Jacques, the horse I was on, spooked. I'm not entirely sure what he did, but it resulted in me lying in the ditch trying to breathe and figure out the damage. After a few minutes I was able to get up though, and despite excruciating pain, decided to get back on, to minimize fuss and reassure myself at my own ability to ride (it had been a particularly bad lesson as well). I made it back home, and on the advice of another rider, an emergency room doctor, took paracetamol and codeine and iced my throbbing back. Even though none of this seemed to help, I continued in my general policy of making light of these things. It usually feels better that way, at least emotionally. Plus, I figured at worst, I'd done some muscle damage. However, when the pain had not abated on Sunday, I decided to go in to the hospital, primarily, in some ways, to reassure my less complacent (and hence more intelligent) friends. After the usual several hour wait in the emergency room, a doctor poked my back and took some x-rays, which showed, much to my chagrin, that I had fractured at least two vertebrae. whoops. I sat around for another hour before the orthopedic doctors came and saw me. They gave me the option of going home, but said I really oughtn't to, as, not knowing the extent of the injury, and supposing it to be unstable, any wrong movement could paralyse me. Also, going home would have meant a week long wait for a CT scan. So, I acquiesced to staying, and was condemned to complete bed rest. It took a while for me to realize what that meant, namely, no getting up, no getting down, no goofing around, to quote my mother, for any reason. I was to stay prone, sitting up to no more than 45deg. And yes, that meant bed pans. What a lesson in humility! Also, for someone who does her best to be self sufficient, being completely reliant on others to bring things was frustrating and embarassing. I survived however, and had a CT scan in the morning. The results came in the late afternoon, saying that I hadn't damaged the bone around the spinal column, so I was free to move around. Joy! It took another four hours for them to get the pain meds for me and discharge me, but then I was allowed to go home, on the strict injunction not to go to lectures this week and not to ride for two months.
The heroes of this story are Becky, who not only waited for 4 hours in the emergency room with me on Sunday, but also came back to bring me necessities later that evening, and spent another four hours or more waiting with me for my discharge on Monday, to walk me home. Hannah brought me chocolate, mineral water and coke, and spent several hours entertaining me on Monday. She has also been the most regular visitor in my less restrictive home bed rest, along with Mary. Georgia helped with bringing my stuff over on Sunday, and waited while they remembered where they'd left me. Lisbeth spent several hours visiting me in the hospital on Monday, brought me two large gooey delicious cookies, and helped me bake an apple pie on Tuesday, before my poor apples gave up the ghost. and made applesauce with the remaining apples. Thank you sooo much, guys!
I think it is only just starting to sink in, just how close I came to seriously and permanently damaging myself. Now, for a sensible person, this would mean that I would consider dropping some of my more dangerous activities, but I can't wait to get back on a horse. That's the other thing I'm just realizing... how bleak the next two months will be without riding. My finances will be happier for it though.
The rest of my life is quite dull in comparison. schoolwork continues. I did a bunch of extra reading over reading week and this week of my convalescence. I have recently been battling with the monster of academic bureaucracy over getting an extension, which is much more complicated than in the States. sigh.
In good news, I have found a real spiritual home in St Martin's in the Fields. It is the friendliest parish that I have ever been to, and the service, with it's old fashioned hymns, and activist, liberal-leaning sermons, is exactly what I look for. I have joined the 'Twirties' (twenties and thirties) group, and the choir director has agreed to lend me a hymnal with music (most just have words). Every Sunday, several people have come up and introduced themselves and welcomed me. Last Sunday, two women even took me out to lunch, as I had no money on me at the time! So kind of them.
Anyways, despite the catastrophes, the past few weeks have been great! Hopefully they will continue so, only sans catastrophe. :)

2 comments:

Christine said...

I'm so glad you like St. Martin in the Fields! My friend Lawrence sings tenor in their choir, and he loves it! Anyways, you'll probs get my text before you read this, but if you're up for it, I'd love to see you (I have some gossipy news that should be discussed in person xx) and maybe do some Borough market shopping on Saturday! I definitely won't be hung over this time...

Beverly said...

Glad you're all right! Well, at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Maybe you can learn how to design websites and get a job doing that while you're stuck at home in bed. :) I hope things look up. It sounds like you have a lot of good friends to keep you company.